Monday, February 15, 2010

VD, I'd like to show you where to shove it.

I titled this "vd" instead of Valentine's Day simply for the fact that I thought it would be humorous if people thought I was blogging about an unwanted STD, which I do not have...an unwanted STD or any type of STD. Did the joke land? No? Moving on then, but for the record I have no STDs.

Valentine's Day, I'd like to show you where to shove it. I held off posting this until today. Had I created this lovely masterpiece yesterday it would have made me sound more lame and pathetic than usual with a dash of bitter and side loneliness. You're excited to read this now aren't you?

Valentine's Day is a lot like country music. Sometimes I really like it, and sometimes it's quite depressing. It's one of those things you really like, or you don't. There isn't much of an in between or grey area. I used to be in the group that loved Valentine's Day. It was an opportunity to buy Barbie Valentines and eat tons of candy without anyone stopping you. If you don't recall, I will refresh your memory: it was also my favorite day in elementary school. I excelled on Valentine's Day. I got my mom to buy the good candy, the coolest Valentines, and it was the day of all days to use my creativity and imagination on hardcore, bad ass boxes (yes, I just said hardcore, bad ass box...ha).  

Once I discovered boys (yes, Nate, I discovered them) the day took on a whole new face and place in my heart.  Barbie Valentines were a thing of the past replaced by flowers, teddy bears, and more adult-ish candy. Turns out flowers, stuffed animals and candy are some of my favorite things in the world. What's not to love!  I couldn't find anything not to love about this Hallmark holiday, until this year. Flowers, stuffed animals and candy were nonexistent. Bummer.  

Valentine's Day and country music, you kind of suck. I don't need a reminder that my life isn't the fairy tale I thought it would be, I have no boy planning for days what to do for me on Valentine's day, and I live with my parents, which I actually kind of like - but let's face it, I don't sound very cool (even though we all know I am a super cool chica) saying I'm 24, divorced, and living with my parents. ugh. The only thing that could make me more pathetic sounding is if I actually had an venereal disease, or I don't know...blogged about how Valentine's Day made me sad this year. Oh, wait...That is exactly what I'm doing.

The day wasn't a total depressing, pathetic bust. I had a yummy breakfast with good friends and lots of laughs and shoved my face full of food I didn't need with the best date ever - my sister.  Even better, my dad gave my sister and I money to do something on Valentine's Day. Yes, my dad took pity on us for being single and valentine-less. We  gladly accepted the pity and purchased greasy cheeseburgers and fruity drinks with fun umbrellas. I'm definitely one of those girls that buries my feelings with food. The sweeter, saltier, and greasier the better it works. Thank goodness Valentine's Day is only 24 hours. I would be on The Biggest Loser if it were a month long celebration of love and lovers.

Is there a country song about being alone on Valentine's Day? David Allen Coe should have added that to the end of his perfect country and western song. Alas, the 15th of February arrived and that silly holiday is over. The only reminder I have that I was alone on Valentine's Day is this blog, which I probably shouldn't have posted, but I spent my entire lunch hour typing it and everyone that reads this knows I was alone anyways. 

Not to worry, next year I will blog about how much better VD2011 was and how I am still STD free and not on The Biggest Loser. 

*for the record I think this post makes me sound more pathetic and depressed than I actually am. I didn't hate the day just disliked... a little. As with country music, I am not a huge fan right now; but the wind will shift, my mood will change, and I'll be in love with the day again.

7 comments:

  1. Elementary school Morgan... I think it was still your fav holiday in High School.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love and I still had a crappy vd. It's just another day, ya know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this a pity party? And you really never said where VD could be shoved... Yes you are divorced but at least you aren't spending VD with someone you don't love and as far as your dad showing pity I say no way. This " fake " holiday is just as much for your dad loving you as it is for love birds. He obviously loves both of you enough to try and make you happy on a day that has the potential to make so many sad and depressed. If I were you I would be celebrating the fact that you don't have a huge Doucher in your life ruining a perfectly good Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Point of clarification: ahem, HUGE point of clarification...I was more than happy and thankful my dad did something so nice for my sister and I. It was very thoughtful of him to recognize the fact that my sister and I were probably feeling a little down this year, but he encouraged us to go do something fun together and focus on those types of loving relationships in our lives. I am in no way ungrateful for that act of generosity and kindness; nor am I ungrateful for the people in my life I love and love me. I cherish those relationships more than I ever have, because I know when push comes to shove the people who truly love you are the ones who stick by your side through thick and thin. If that is how this over the top, highly dramatic, pity party for one of a blog came across, I'd like like to make it perfectly clear that was not my intention or my feelings. I am a girl, so yes I was a bit down on Valentine's Day, but that is it. My pity party has come and gone. The blog title is: I'd like to SHOW you where to shove it...not tell you. So if you come a bit closer, I'd be happy to show you. (that is a joke - insert "bahahaha" here)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is Valentine's Day? I've never heard of it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cough Cough...what about the night before V-Day? JK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you didn't think I was feeling sorry for you both on Valentine's day. I thought it was neat you were doing something fun together and wished I could have come along. But since I couldn't be there why not pay for part of it as my Valentine gift to both of you
    Love you Dad
    ps how do I get a profile

    ReplyDelete